Here is a list, a long list, of things made of steel that you can hand over as scrap metal for recycling. If there is enough picked up from one source then you can actually get some money from it.
Here goes -
- Parts of a caravan.
- Cars. Whole or broken down into individual components.
- Trucks. As above.
- Vans. As above.
- Heavy plant machinery.
- Normal pedal bikes
- Vehicles trailers.
- Tools. Those that are used for the above list or garden tools.
- Steel yachts and the various things that go along with sailing like the anchors, anchor chain, engines, etc.
- Boats of all different sizes from fishing trawlers up to oil tankers.
- Parts of aircraft. Aircraft come in many shapes, sizes and construction material.
- Fencing of all types.
- Thick cable.
- Girders, like those used in warehouse construction, bridges, skyscrapers, etc.
- Trains and their associated parts or running gear.
- Railway lines (please don’t steel these!).
- Scaffold tubes, in fact any steel tubing no matter its purpose, from a roll cage to a child’s swing frame.
- Industrial machinery. Lathes, presses, production line equipment.
- Household radiators.
- Nuts, bolts, nails and screws.
- Funnily enough all the machinery to make steel can be recycled.
- The bars that reinforce concrete structures.
- Electricity pylons.
- What you eat and cook with is steel.
- Lots of steel is used by the Military organisations of the world.
- Shipping containers.
- Small things like door hinges and handles.
- A fridge.
- An oven.
As you can see the above list is a large one and it covers a broad range of items and ideas. Some of the items are quite small and don’t weigh a lot. One thing you can do, which is quite fun, is go around your neighbours, family and friends and ask them if they can add to your pile of old metal. Then when you have enough you can ask for it to be collected. Also, youngsters might want to get their school involved to help fund ideas or projects.
A good tip – take with you a pair of thick gardening gloves as scrap metal can have sharp edges.